Monday, April 15, 2013

Parenting 101: Almost Bedtime

If you've read the post below, you probably figured it out that Matty was sick this past weekend with a fever and the sniffles.  He spent all of Saturday and Sunday watching Pixar movies and eating toast sandwiches (if only that was how I could spend a sick day!).

Today (Monday) he was feeling better, but we needed to keep him home from school.  After watching four more Pixar movies while working from home, I was ready to go nuts and needed to get out of the house.  So while Michelle was at class, Matty and I went for a walk/bike ride around campus.  He was more tired than usual and asked for me to carry him and his bike.  It was a pitiful sight I'm sure.

As we approached the parking lot to our row of townhouses I told him it was almost time for bed.

Side note:  He hasn't taken a nap all day, he's recovering from the flu, and he's been riding on my shoulders while I carry his bike.  So he has very little room to bargain for a later than normal bedtime.

After I told him it was almost time for bed, he quickly retorted that it was still light out and that it needed to be dark.  I told him that it didn't need to be dark for him to go to bed when he's recovering from being sick.

And in the most honest and dry tone of voice Matty responded, "That's not what the sun says."

I instantly laughed and said that sometimes even the sun doesn't get to trump what daddy says about bedtime.

So we got home, watched a little bit more Pixar and found our way into mommy and daddy's bed for one more night of family sleep-over while we recover from the flu.  Sometimes we concede, giving in to the childish rationale of our children, willing to live to fight another day.  But today, dad trumped the reasoning of a sick little three-year-old and dad trumped the sun...

Matty was asleep before it got dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment